Sunday, July 18, 2010

anniversary dinner = steak & mushroom omelettes for breakfast


Our wedding anniversary is tomorrow and, since that happens to be a Monday, we went out for our anniversary dinner last night. It seems to be that going to a high-end steakhouse is becoming our anniversary tradition since this is also what we did last year. This year, we went to Fleming's (hubby's favorite steakhouse here). I think they have many locations, so if you are interested in a REALLY good dinner with REALLY big portions, check it out: http://www.flemingssteakhouse.com/ I promise, if you like steak, you will not be disappointed!

Anyhow, as usual, my eyes were bigger than my stomach. This combined with the fact that (1) I was unaware that the portions were so large and (2) our very nice waiter, Gabe, comped us the mushrooms - so a 3rd side got added to our already humongous portion of food and left me very, very, very full before I even got halfway done with anything (except my salad - I always finish my salad). Of course, the fact that we couldn't finish dinner also meant that there was a small slice of space in our tummies for dessert - Gabe came early to ask about dessert in case we wanted the chocolate lava cake since it takes 20 mins to prepare. I can't tell you what else is on the dessert menu because we didn't get any further than this. We ordered it. I was glad it took so long to prepare since it gave us time to get over dinner before diving into the supremely divine chocolate lava cake (which, by the way, came with a side of vanilla bean ice cream and chantilly cream to top the cake - a whole bowl of chantilly cream!) The one smart thing we did was to split the salad and the dessert. Even the half portions were a good size. So as I was sitting there wishing they could take me to the car in a wheelbarrow, I was already planning today's breakfast.

I love steak & eggs, so anytime we go out for steak I am happy to have some left. I knew that some combination of steak & eggs would be on the menu for this morning. As I sat there, I looked at the steak (it only came in a 16oz portion - I think I only ate 4 of them) and the mushrooms, I started thinking omlettes. Hubby LOVES his fries and was looking forward to ordering some. The only way you can get fries at Fleming's is thin-cut (kind of like Steak & Shake fries) and as part of a combo with onion rings. So there were a lot of fries left. I pondered on what to do for breakfast and how I could use the fries too. This is what I came up with:

I had already decided to make a steak & mushroom omelette but we were torn on which cheese to use (and, since I think cheese should be its own food group, there is always an assortment in our house). I briefly considered shredded cheddar but quickly decided this wasn't a good enough match for the rest of the ingredients. I then moved on to feta, but hubby didn't think it would be a good match. So we settled on parmigano-reggiano. I think this was definitely the right choice since the sharpness and saltiness of the cheese matched well with the fact that both the steak and the mushrooms had been prepared with garlic butter. Plus, it gave me the chance to play with my cheese grater.

It wasn't until I was slicing the mushrooms that I decided what to do with the fries. I had initially started trying to figure out some way to turn the fries into hashbrowns (or something like hashbrowns). As I sliced the mushrooms, and the pile grew, I knew exactly what to do. I heated all the mushrooms up and the set some aside to go in the omelettes. The rest, I left in the pan and added the fries. I covered the dish, hoping that it would soften the fries a little so they would be more hashbrown-like but this didn't work quite as I had hoped. There were still delicious though.

Since I didn't even eat half my steak, I heated it up and we were able to share it. I just heated it on low in the same pan the potatoes & mushrooms had been heated up in (after I took the potatoes & mushrooms out).

Anyhow, it turned out as spectacularly as I had hoped. The only problem is that we have now finished all the steak, so I am sad...but hubby's birthday is right around the corner, so I know that there is another yummy dinner coming our way very soon! :-)

1 comment: