Sunday, July 11, 2010

Pomegranate Margaritas and Black & white pasta



I know that you are never supposed to go grocery shopping hungry, but I never thought about not going other kinds of shopping hungry. I will add to the grocery shopping part, never, ever, ever go anywhere that might possibly sell any kind of gourmet foods hungry. Unfortunately for me, HomeGoods is such a place.

Truth be told, I wasn't really famished; but, thanks to my workouts, I do have the appetite of a 13 year old boy most of the time. Anyhow, I went in for a serving bowl and came out with that AND a whole bunch of other stuff.

The first definitely-not-on-the-list purchase was sugar-free pomegranate syrup. I saw this and immediately thought "I bet this would make an awesome margarita" prompting me to have to go out and buy margarita mix and tequila. But I was right, it did make an awesome margarita. Of course the sugar and calories in the margarita mix kind of negated the whole "sugar-free" of the syrup, but oh well. And now, a friend of mine mentioned using limeade instead of margarita mix, so I might have to try this. I wonder if lemonade would work as well...because I DO have some crystal light mix...and that would return my margarita to being pretty much sugar-free. I don't have any pics of the margaritas, but I am sure that everyone probably knows what a margarita looks like. If not, there is always google...or a menu at TGIFriday's...

The second thing on the list was something that I normally wouldn't buy anyways - white pasta, but this was too cool to pass up. Black & white farfalle. I just couldn't pass it up. So I bought it. Then, of course, I had to figure out what to serve it with and how to top it. Something this pretty really can't just be covered up in a plain old tomato sauce. I thought about a pesto, but I thought that might cover it up too much as well. So I settled on oil and freshly grated parmesano-reggiano. But I thought that might be too boring so I decided that it needed asparagus, mushrooms and artichoke hearts. Looking back, I think this might have been overkill. So I am back to square one on how to top this awesome looking pasta. I am open to suggestions... Anyhow, we had it with out favorite baked pollock with smashed tomato sauce. Mainly because I thought the fish was a lighter option than the shake & bake chicken & pork we had earlier in the week; but also because I got several packages of pollock last week at the grocery (coupons + good price = carol buying a lot of it).

No comments: