Tuesday, April 27, 2010

tuna salad

Do you ever find yourself asking, "Whatever will I do with this leftover seared Ahi tuna?" You know that if you reheat it, it will cook a little more, no longer be "seared" and maybe not taste as good. After all, when it comes to Ahi, my opinion is that the closer to raw it is, the better...raw being the best state for serving it. But that's just my opinion.

I was faced with this conundrum this week. On Sunday, hubby marinated some sushi grade Ahi in basil pesto (thank the fine gentlemen at PBS's BBQ University for this idea) and grilled it:
That's the tuna there on the left, grilling away.

Hubby ate 1 piece and left the other for me. I knew that I didn't want to heat it up since that would cook it more, so I tried to think of the best way to serve it cold. Sushi is an option, but for many reasons, I didn't like this choice. 1 - I REALLY don't feel like making the rice; 2 - I would have to go out and get the rolling mat and seaweed and 3 - in sushi, I prefer my tuna raw. Then, I thought about a sandwich, but I thought this tuna was too good to become a measly little sandwich.

When it comes to cold foods, I realized that the most obvious option is salad, especially when it comes to lunch. So that's what I decided on. I always have salad supplies on hand since I do eat a considerably number of salads. I got out the Romaine, sundried tomato crumbled feta, balsamic and olive oil and filled the bowl. Then, I shredded up the tuna and sprinkled it on top. All I can say is Oh. My. God. I can't wait to go back to Trader Joe's (or the 17th St. Market for my friends in Tucson) to get some more of this tuna. Yum, yum, yummy!!!

And, yes, that is a 10-cup mixing bowl that I ate my salad out of. I didn't have enough lettuce to fill the 12 cup one...

No comments: