Sunday, April 11, 2010

who says healthy has to be boring?

You all have probably already figured out that one of my passions is finding healthy yet yummy meals that satisfy my cravings for things that are definitely not as healthy and, as I am finding, probably not even as yummy. This is part of the reason that I am so supportive of Jamie Oliver and his whole "Food Revolution" and why I get so angry at the people on the show who are fighting him. Yes, healthy can be more expensive. Yes, healthy can take a little longer to prepare. But these are not necessarily always true and, who cares if they are. The benefits of healthy eating far outweigh the costs of time and/or money.

To hubby and I, it seems like the prettier the food is, the better it tastes. We are all about proper (and sometimes creative) plating. Even though I have been a little delinquent in photographing many of my meals recently, there are still those that make me pause before eating and saying "Wait! We need to take a picture." Maybe one of these days, I will decide to sit down and take a picture of every meal I have for a year. But maybe that will get boring since we do eat a lot of leftovers. I'll think on this. Anyway, here are a couple of recent meals that I found particularly attractive:

Leftovers (rotisserie chicken,broccoli, sweet potato and a tomato)
The sauce on the veggies is a vinaigrette from Rocco DiSpirito's new cookbook "now eat this!" - which is seriously recommend getting. it is a winner! It is a really awesome salad dressing, but hubby got experimental and put it on his veggies - which turned out to be a success.







Hubby's Grilled Chicken Salad (Spring mix lettuce, grape tomatoes, olives and grilled chicken breast, olive oil & balsamic vinegar dressing)










Taco Salad (a bastardized version of Rocco's Roasted Chicken Burritos w/ Corn & Black Beans)
Again from "Now Eat This!" - I'm telling you, you really need this cookbook!
This recipe is supposed to be burritos, but since hubby is low-carbing it right now, I decided to turn it into a taco salad. This was easily better than any taco salad I have ever had at any restaurant. The recipe called for Greek yogurt instead of sour cream. I wanted a little bit more of the sour cream feeling, so we added lemon juice to the yogurt. I think it was a success. It really gave a little bit of the tang of sour cream that made me feel like I was eating something sinful.

Until next time, happy eating!

No comments: